Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Unearthly (Unearthly - Trilogy)Published: January 4, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Author's WebsiteCynthia Hand

Genre: YA
Format: e-book
# of Pages: 435
Source: NetGalley
Challenge2011 E-book Challenge &
100 Books in a Year
Purchase BookAmazon



In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angle.  Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do.  Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town.  When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place -- and out of place at the same time.  Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

;As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make -- between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil.  When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart. (from GoodReads)

First Sentence 
"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees."

My Thoughts
Wow. All I can say is this was incredible.  Cynthia Hand is an amazing author that has sucked me into a whole new genre: angels.  I was not 100% sold on the idea of this book when I first received it from NetGalley.  I saw that there was a lot of hype surrounding it, but I didn't think it was for me.  Boy was I wrong.  Cynthia Hand has a knack for telling a story.  The entire time I read this book I felt like I was there, experiencing everything Clara was going through.  The thing I liked the most about this book is that at no point did I think I knew what was going to happen.  I couldn't put this book down until I knew for sure what was going on.  I had all these different ideas in my head, but of course, I was wrong on all accounts.  
Clara is the perfect heroine.  She isn't your stereotypical beautiful/popular girl that saves the day.  She is having to deal with the same things that all teens go through.  I really think this helped me to connect with Clara, because I understood most of what she was going through (well the human emotions at least!).
Following along with Clara's journey was such an emotional roller coaster.  I felt highs and lows but I knew I just had to push through.  I cannot wait for the next book in this trilogy!  I highly recommend this to anyone that reads.  I know that sounds silly, but I never in a million years thought I would enjoy an angel book, but WOW.

My Favorite Quotes
"When I appear to him in the forest, when he finally turns and sees me standing there, I want to at least look the part of an angel.  I want to be all glowy and floaty like my mom."

"Great.  I fit right in with the Invisibles."

"Wingspan, I thought, shaking my head.  I have a wingspan.  This is insane."

My Ratings
Liked: The fast-paced way this read, the characters were incredible and the plot was outstanding
Disliked: I don't really think that the cover does this book justice.
Cover: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Ending: 5/5
Overall: 5/5 

Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails