Saturday, January 1, 2011

Review: Adios, Nirvana - Conrad Wesselhoeft

Adios, NirvanaAdios, Nirvana - Conrad Wesselhoeft
Electronic Version
Received from NetGalley

When you piss off a bridge into a snowstorm, it feels like you're connecting with eternal things.  Paying homage to something or someone.  But who?  The Druids?  Walt Whitman?  No, I pay homage to one person only, my brother, my twin.
In life.  In death.
Telemachus.
Since the death of his brother, Johnathan's been losing his grip on reality.  Last year's Best Young Poet and gifted guitarist is now Taft High School's resident tortured artist, when he bothers to show up.  He's on track to repeat eleventh grade, but his English teacher, his principal, and his crew of Thicks (who refuse to be seniors without him) won't sit back and let him fail.
My Review:
This was not one of my favorite reads, however it wasn't bad.  I really think that the target audience for this was young boys.  I just couldn't relate to the main character, and the story seemed to drag on longer than necessary.  I honestly thought this was going to be a book that I couldn't finish, but I was somewhat intrigued to see how it all ended up.
I did think that there were some good parts.  It was very interesting to hear the story that he was required to write about the dying World War II vet. Johnathan's mother was probably my favorite character because she was so wacky.

My Ratings:
Overall: 3
Plot: 3
Characters: 3
Writing Style: 3





About Conrad Wesselhoeft
Conrad Wesselhoeft lives with his three children and a big, grinning poodle named Django, in West Seattle. "Much of Adios, Nirvana," he writes, "was inspired by my son, Kit, and his many friends, who tromp through my kitchen, jam on guitars, and leave behind a trail of laughter, crumbs, and ketchup stains."

Happy Reading!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails