Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: The Summer I Dared - Barbara Delinsky

Release Date: 5/22/07
Publisher: Random House
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 512
Source: Purchased
Challenge100 Books in a Year 
The Summer I Dared

On Big Sawyer island, life is as steady as the routine of the lobestermen who leave with the tide each morning and return with their haul each night.  But for forty-year-old New Yorker, Julia Bechtel, life and what's important in it are about to be forever altered when she survives a terrible boat accident en route to the island.  Now, in the company of her aunt and daughter, Julia finds herself strangely connected to the tragedy's other survivors - Noah, a divorced lobsterman, and Kim, a young woman rendered mute since her rescue - and newly outraged at the state of her marriage to a domineering man.  Seeing the world with new eyes, Julia vows to embrace life with all of its joys and uncertainties.  And the journey begins on Big Sawyer...
First Sentences
"The Amelia Celeste was born a lobster boat.  An elegant lad, she ran a proud thirty-eight feet of mahogany and oak, from the graceful upward sweep of her bow, down her foredeck to the wheelhouse, and, on a straight and simple plane, back to her stern."

My Thoughts
I have only read one other book by Barbara Delinsky and I really enjoyed it.  I purchased this book on a whim, and thought it would be a nice summer read.  It was a good story, but I knew from the beginning how it would end.
I'm not one for predictable love stories, but I love the way Delinsky writes, and it was hard not to get into the story and fall in love with the characters.  The main character Julia was very well developed, but she also could have been me, she was so easy to relate to.  The setting was so descriptive that throughout each scene I could picture myself there with the characters, and Big Sawyer sounds delightful!  After all the stress I've been going through recently a week at Big Sawyer is just what the doctor ordered!
Julia is on her way to Big Sawyer to spend a little time away from the hustle and bustle of New York City, but finds a lot more than she bargained for.  She is visiting her aunt, Zoe, who I immediately fell in love with.  She was the cool aunt that everyone has, that is a little wacky, but everyone loves her for it.  I felt bad about Julia's marriage situation, but as soon as we were introduced to Noah, I knew they were destined to be together.  
It is truly a heartwarming story, and one that I would recommend, however it was a little lengthy and drawn out.  I haven't had as much time to read lately, so it probably seemed like it was a lot longer than usual since I couldn't read as quickly as I do.  While it wasn't my favorite book this year, it was a good one, and I will continue to pick up Delinsky's books wherever I can find them!

Ratings
Favorite Characters: Zoe
Least Favorite Characters: Monty
Cover: 5/5 - The cover perfectly portrays the way I feel Big Sawyer would be.
Characters: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Plot: 3/5
Ending: 3/5
Overall Rating: 4

Happy Reading!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails