Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Review: Tick Tock - James Patterson

Release Date: 1/24/11
PublisherLittle, Brown & Company
Format: Hardback
Number of Pages: 448
SourceHachette Book Group
Challenge100 Books in a Year 
Tick Tock (Michael Bennett)Mystery and Suspense Reading Challenge 2011
NYC's #1 detective, Michael Bennett, has a huge problem - the Son of Sam, the Werewolf of Wisteria and the Mad Bomber are all back.  The city has never been more terrified!

Tick -- a killer's countdown begins.

A rash of horrifying crimes tears through the city, throwing it into complete chaos and terrorizing everyone living there.  Immediately, it becomes clear that they are not the work of an amateur, but of a calculating, efficient, and deadly mastermind.

Tick -- Michael Bennett is on the chase.

The city calls on Detective Michael Bennett, pulling him away from a seaside retreat with his ten adopted children, his grandfather, and their beloved nanny, Mary Catherine.  Not only does it tear apart their vacation, it leaves the entire family open to attack.

Tock -- your time is up.

Bennett enlists the help of a former colleague, FBI Agent Emily Parker.  As his affection for Emily grows into something stronger, his relationship with Mary Catherine takes an unexpected turn.  All too soon, another appalling crime leads Bennett to a shocking discovery that exposes the killer's pattern and earth-shattering enormity of his plan.  From the creator of the #1 New York detective series comes the most volatile and most explosive Michael Bennett novel ever. 

First Sentence
"Like the luxury co-ops and five star French eateries located in Manhattan's Silk Stocking District, Benchley East Side Parking was outrageously exclusive."

My Thoughts
I don't even know where to start with this.  I was really expecting a lot from this book, as I have heard so many great things.  I love Michael Bennett's character, and was really excited to hear there was another book in his series.  I'm not sure what happened with this book.  It was really good, don't get me wrong.  I couldn't put it down, and was completely hooked from the beginning (as I am with most every book that Patterson has written).  I just felt like I was reading an Alex Cross novel -- which isn't a bad thing, but I felt like Michael Bennett was a lot different from Alex Cross before . . .  and now they seemed to be very similar.  The other thing I thought was very similar between Michael and Alex is that majority of the time in Alex Cross books the killer ends up coming after Cross and his family.  I don't know if I am forgetting anything from the other Michael Bennett books I've read, but I don't remember that ever happening in his books.  

All of the crimes that were committed in this book were gruesome and horrifying -- I will give Patterson that.  Like I said, I was shocked and completely freaked out from the beginning.  It probably didn't help that I've been home alone the entire time I've been reading this book, so I'm constantly looking over my shoulder!  

Again, like I mentioned before, I was very disappointed in Michael Bennett's character, and felt like I was reading an Alex Cross novel.  I know that Michael and Alex are two completely different people, but I couldn't help but see the similarities in them.  I felt like the way that Michael was acting towards the women in his life, Mary Catherine and Emily Parker, was very similar to the way that Alex Cross acts towards women.  It isn't a bad thing, it just isn't really what I expected from Michael.  I was totally annoyed with the Emily Parker thing, and couldn't get over the fact that he treated her like complete garbage.  After all, he was the one that begged her to come and help him with this case.  He knew that they had some sparks, but he just led her on until something was about to happen, and then ran.  

As always, the twists and turns left me with what I like to call "jaw to the floor" reading disorder.  I couldn't stop thinking I know what's happening...this is so predictable...and then going WHAT THE *#$@!! when I realized how wrong I had been.  That is probably one of my favorite things about James Patterson -- his books are quick reads (no matter how long they are), and they are full of action and plot twists.  While this wasn't my favorite James Patterson book, it wasn't the worst.  If you are a real James Patterson fan, you will enjoy this book.

If you have already read this book, or you plan to read it soon, please let me know what you think about the Michael Bennett/Alex Cross comparison...I'm interested to see if I am the only one that felt this way. 

Favorite Quote
"Kids could be challenging, oftentimes a downright pain in the ass, but in the rare moments they made you see that maybe you were trying after all.  Maybe you really were doing the best you could."


Ratings
Likes: The fast paced twists and turns in the plot.
Dislikes: The uncanny similarities between Michael Bennett and Alex Cross
Favorite Characters: Michael and Seamus
Least Favorite Character: Emily Parker
Cover: 3/5 (it is pretty boring, and doesn't really grab me)
Characters: 3.5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Ending: 4/5
Overall Rating: 4.1/5


Happy Reading!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails