Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: In Office Hours - Lucy Kellaway

In Office HoursRelease Date: 2/7/11
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 352
SourceHachette Book Group
Challenge100 Books in a Year

In Office Hours is the story of Stella and Bella, two intelligent working women who each fall for impossible lovers -- at work.  Kellaway's keen observations on the way in which affairs move from state to state are sort of masterclass in office love, bringing to life both the excitement of illicit romance and the ridiculousness of business behavior and language with a sharp sense of humor.


In Office Hours is intelligent, funny, moving and agonizing, but it's also painfully recognizable to any woman who has ever worked in an office or ever been in love.  Kellaway hits a real nerve with her depictions of how people come to get into the emotional messes that we do and then how very difficult it is to get out again.



First Sentences
"Two words: four letters, then eight. The shape of them was so familiar and yet shocking to see now, after all this time."

My Thoughts
This book really annoyed me, but I pushed through and finished it.  There were a few times that I just kept thinking "put it down...it isn't worth it", but a very small part of me had to know what was going on.
First of all, I was so annoyed and confused by the fact that the main characters names were Bella and Stella.  It was like I had to keep stopping and reminding myself which was which.  Not that it really mattered, both women were pathetic, hopeless and completely self-centered.  
It always makes me laugh when people talk about office romances, so I really thought this would be a good read.  It is never a good idea to fall in love with someone you work for, or someone that works for you...however I strongly believe that you cannot help who you fall in love with.  It was just too coincidental and cliche that these women happen to work in the same office, and their situations are almost exactly opposite.  Stella is in a high position at the office, married, two children, sleeping with her assistant.  Bella is a junior at the office, single, one child, sleeping with her boss.  *yawn*
Throughout the book I was annoyed at how pathetic these women were.  I mean I've never really been able to understand the thought process that goes on in someones head when they decide to have an affair -- maybe because I am a loyal, honest, loving person...but who knows.  I've worked with plenty of good looking men, but nothing has ever had me think "well, things at home are really great, but you know, having a fling with this guy would be great..."
I think that in the end, both women deserved what they got, and I was glad that it ended the way it did.  Now, this isn't to say that the men in the story weren't at all to blame, they were as well, but with the focus being on the women, I just couldn't help but hate them.  

Ratings
Favorite Characters: Rhys
Least Favorite Characters: Stella/Bella
Cover: 2/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Plot: 3/5
Ending: 3/5
Overall Rating: 2.75/5



Happy Reading!
Disclosure - I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  This in no way affected my review.

2 comments:

Kelsa P. said...

I'm sorry this one didn't do it for you. From the summary it sounded hilarious to me - romances at the office always are.

I definitely won't try to read this one. The aggravation in your review was just to tangible to be ignored. LOL

~Kelsa

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Thanks for the honest review. Sounds disappointing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails